August 16, 2013
With the start of football season right around the corner, many of our clients are in search of a fantastic, new television. But it can’t just be any TV. It has to be a TV that makes you feel like you’re sitting in the stadium. A TV that makes your house the place to be on game days. A TV the entire family can enjoy.
Overwhelmed by HDTV Specifications?
Unfamiliar terminology is often a hurdle when beginning your search for an HDTV. At Stereo East Home Theater, we understand this frustration. Even if you bought a TV a couple of years ago, the sets on the market today have many different features due to advances in technology. To help you get started, here’s a list of the most common specifications used to compare TVs:
- Resolution – Today, most TVs have, at minimum, 1080p high-definition resolution. This means there are about 2 million pixels (1,920 x 1,080) on your screen. Some higher-performance TVs even have 4K resolution. Basically, 4K means four times the resolution of regular HD, or the equivalent of 8 million pixels. The more pixels, the better the detail and picture quality.
- Contrast ratio – Essentially, this is the difference (or shades of gray) between the brightest and darkest scenes of the picture. However, there is no industry standard on how contrast ratio should be measured, so it’s probably better to trust your own eyes rather than the numbers. Don’t look for brightness, but rather focus on the detail in the dark areas of the image.
- Refresh rate – Refresh rate is measured in hertz and refers to how often the TV refreshes the picture. Depending on the type of content you typically view, a higher refresh rate helps to improve smooth motion.
- Smart TV – A Smart TV allows you to connect it to the internet, allowing you to stream content, use your favorite apps, and share photos and videos.
Let the Experts at Stereo East Home Theater Help You
Doing your research is great, but specs and features aren’t everything. Remember these four tips when you begin shopping for your new HDTV:
- Choose a picture you like, not what you heard was great, and not what your friends told you. Many companies try to confuse you with features. Pick what looks good, feels comfortable, and does what you need.
- Check with the experts for a reliable TV. The last thing you want is to buy an expensive set and find out later that it is unreliable. Stereo East installs equipment in more than 700 media and family rooms per year. We know what stays working!
- Make sure it is easy to use. If you and your family can’t operate it, it doesn’t matter how good it is!
- To ensure the manufacturer’s warranty will be honored, be sure to purchase from an authorized dealer only.
At Stereo East‘s large showroom in Frisco, we have numerous flat panel TVs on display and expert consultants ready to help. We are an authorized dealer for HDTVs from Sony, LG, Panasonic, and Samsung. Visit us today!