At this time of the year, we are typically visiting the CEDIA tradeshow to see what’s new in the world of home technology. Of course, this year’s affair was a virtual event, but that didn’t stop manufacturers from announcing exciting products.
Sony launched new 4K UHD projectors for the home theater market, and we think the VPL-VW715ES and VPL-VW915ES models will be THE hot new products for the upcoming holiday season. We were thrilled to learn the new models were thoughtfully designed with updated technologies and major upgrades intended to dramatically improve performance.
The New X1 for Projector Picture Processor
For years, Sony 4K TVs have set the standard for picture processing. It’s now time for their projectors to benefit from those same advancements in processing technology. Both the VW715ES and VW915ES are equipped with X1 for projector, a powerful new processor that enhances the picture and upscales HD content to nearly-4K levels. Specifically, this new processor adds:
- Dynamic HDR Enhancer – frame-by-frame tone mapping paired with iris light-output control work together to dramatically enhance HDR content to create a picture with brighter brights and darker blacks
- Super-resolution Reality Creation – proprietary algorithms are used to analyze pixels and boost detail in an image without adding digital noise. Reality Creation is exclusive to Sony and is derived from their years of movie production experience.
- Digital Focus Optimizer – identifies and digitally corrects optical degradation in an image to provide improved focus, even in the corners of the screen
- HDR Compatibility – drastically improves dynamic range and color for both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma), the standards primarily used for 4K Blu-ray discs and live broadcast, respectively
The Sony VPL-VW715ES Home Theater Projector
The VPL-VW715ES is Sony’s new lamp-based projector and is the replacement for the VPL-VW695ES. In addition to the benefits of the new X1 for projector processor, specifications include:
- Brightness – 1,800 lumens
- 4K aspherical lens – a large-diameter aspherical primary projection lens adds sharpness from corner-to-corner
- Motorized zoom lens and wide lens shift – flexible installation with motorized zoom and up to 85% vertical and 31% horizontal adjustments
- Picture Position Memory – easily switch between focus, zoom, and lens shift settings to quickly select the ideal format for different content, such as widescreen movies, and save these settings for future recall
The VW715ES projector will retail for $9,999 and will be available soon.
The Sony VPL-VW915ES Laser Home Theater Projector
The VPL-VW915ES is Sony’s most affordable laser-based 4K projector and is the replacement for the VPL-VW885ES. The VW915ES is already a favorite among industry experts. Upgrade to this 4K laser projector for:
- Z-Phosphor™ laser light source – up to 2,000 lumens of brightness and a rating of 20,000 hours at optimal brightness for years of maintenance-free enjoyment
- Dual Contrast Control – an Advanced Iris and the laser light engine adjust independently and dynamically to precisely control light output to enhance contrast for lifelike detail and realism
The VW915ES has already won a Hot Product Award from projectorreviews.com and will be priced at $19,999.
Why is a Sony SXRD™ Native 4K Projector the Best Choice?
We’ve said it before, and we’ll say it again: native 4K projectors are far superior to others, especially those with pixel-shifting capabilities. In fact, the projectors used at commercial cinemas are native 4K resolution, which means 4096×2160 pixels for a total of 8.8 million pixels of resolution. With more than four times as many pixels as the leading pixel-shifting projectors, native 4K models can deliver a significantly clearer and more detailed picture. To replicate the feel of a true theater, a Sony 4K SXRD projector is the way to go. Both the VW715ES and VW915ES models offer native 4K resolution.
Shop VW715ES and VW915ES at Stereo East Home Theater
Sony was the first brand to offer a 4K projector, and with years of experience in both movie-making and manufacturing, they continue to be a leader in the product category. As of now, Sony expects to begin shipping the new projectors during the coming weeks. Contact us directly at Stereo East to check on the timeline for demoing and/or ordering one of these new beauties. We look forward to helping you complete your dream media room or home theater just in time for the holiday season!